Some Reflections on the Medium Festival of Photography, San Diego, October 2016
Ten things I got out of just a few hours of attendance (I highly recommend a more extended visit for future years):
- A useful escape from the tedium of the current election campaign!
- Sharing an informal atmosphere that was very conducive to informal conversations.
- A chance to talk at length about photography and creativity with such super talents as Douglas Stockdale, Susan Burnstine, Barbara Kyne, and others.
- Checking out and purchasing the work of some of the finest creators of current photobooks — see the links in my previous post for details:
- Conversing with the Museum of Photographic Arts, Balboa Park, San Diego.
- Finding out about innovative MFA programs, especially the one at the University of Hartford. Erica Ann Flood displayed and discussed some of the creative photobooks of their graduates. They are given close scrutiny by Kathleen Laraia McLaughlin and Doug Stockdale as shown below.
- Catching up with old friends.
- Making some new friends.
- Interesting presentations and other events.
- A good feeling supporting each other as a photographic community.
Hope to see you there next year!
© Douglas Stockdale; the others © Gerhard Clausing